The world is facing climate crisis. It’s crucial that corporate move towards more sustainable source of fuels.
For the longest time, biofuels / biodiesel such as Used Cooking Oil Methyl Ester (UCOME), Fatty Acid Methyl Esters (FAME) has been the most common source of bio-based fuel. UCOME and FAME though sustainable has their shortcomings.
Some of UCOME and FAME shortcomings include:
- unstable and easily oxidize
- tend to absorb moisture, this is more prominent in Asia’s humid climate
- the absorbed moisture in turn create bacteria problem
- high chance of causing clog or gumming in diesel engine components
Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil (HVO) is:
- derived from various bio-based feedstocks
- stable and less susceptible to oxidation and absorbing moisture, meaning it can be stored longer with marginal deterioration
- 100% HVO’s performance close to fossil-based diesel
- many engine maker endorse HVO as a viable and equivalent alternative to fossil-based diesel
- higher quality than UCOME and FAME, which in turn the price is significantly higher
Yes, Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil (HVO) is available in Asia. HVO is available in:
- 200 Litres Drum, 1000 Litres IBC Tote Tank
- 24000 Litres ISO Tank
- Vessel Load
- Direct Vessel Bunkering
However due to the extremely high demand for HVO, lead time is long.